The early ears


In 1806, to the city council of Odessa a petition, addressed to the Duke of Richelieu, from the Bryansk merchant Illya Novikov was applied. He asked to give him permission for a cable production in Odessa. This date is considered the time of the plant foundation and is celebrated annually in July on the eve of the professional holiday - Metallurgist Day. A land plot for this manufactory was allotted on August 10, 1803. And in almost three years, the construction and commissioning of production were completed. At that time this manufactory was located on the peripheral area of the city, on the corner of Bolshaya Arnautskaya and Bezymyannaya. Later, in honor of the company, Bezymyannaya Street was called Kanatnaya. So, the I.S. Novikov`s cable factory begins it victorious path in the history. The rapidly growing city of Odessa became the center of the Black Sea and European trade - South Palmyra, and, therefore, crafts, including shipbuilding were rapidly developed. It was impossible to do without hemp ropes, and the enterprising merchant Ilya Novikov quickly began to establish a profitable business Ship’s equipment was made from Bryansk raw materials, which were delivered to ships of Greek, Turkish, Russian skippers engaged in trade throughout the Mediterranean basin. A traveler at the beginning of the 19th century wrote: “Apart from grain, wax, oily candles, damp skin and hemp ropes are also released from Odessa.” Huge funds I.S.Novikov, together with his sons Jacob and Nikolai, invested in the improvement of the city of Odessa. The construction of the first stone bridge in Odessa, 2 shops selling their products were underway, the Archangel - Mikhailovsky Nunnery was being built at the expense of his own business, and almost all the streets of the historical part of the city were equipped with paving stones. In 1840, the introduction of machine technology began at the plant. The first machines were descending and pulling and were driven by horses. The third and fourth generation of the Novikovs in the person of Alexander, his son and Yakov completely transfer production to the use of steam engines and expand production. And in 1892 production transferred to electric energy. Apartment buildings and a plant of artificial crystalline ice were being built in Odessa. Novikov’s houses are still the architectural pearls of the city. In parallel with 1896 on Vodoprovodnaya Street Russian Black Sea Plant started production, which since 1908 has merged with the Novikov factory.

Movement to Vodoprovodnaya Street


After the fire in 1912 production completely moved to Vodoprovodnaya street. In May 1914, the modern territory of the plant was finalized. A 3-story “Valceza” machine was brought from France, which is still operating and fulfilling orders for the production of large-sized synthetic ropes.

Consolidation of production facilities


During the years of the first five year period, production was enlarged. In 1927 a railway line was being laid; a mechanical repair shop was being built in 1931; consumer goods workshop in 1934; boiler room in 1939. Since 1931, the plant was renamed the “Steel and Hemp Ropes factory”. Steel and hemp ropes were becoming a major part of export. Work was being carried on imported English and Russian wire.

War years


The outbreak of World War II made adjustments to the plant’s plans. The men went to the front and to the fighter battalions. Many were awarded with orders and medals. Production was reoriented to the needs of the front. In the workshops, a wire fence was made and small arms were repaired. In October1941 a decision was made to evacuate the plant to Ural.



Early post-war times


After returning from evacuation, in 1946, in the post-war years, a steel cable workshop was built, where the first steel ropes were released on trophy equipment. The House of Culture, pioneer camp, residential buildings for factory workers were under construction. In 1955, the author invention for producing galvanized wire was registered 1958 is the beginning of the plant reconstruction.



In 1961 on the basis of the plant, ONIOSK (industrial research sector of steel ropes) was created. The completion of the reconstruction of the plant in 1967 made it possible to significantly modernize production. In 1967 steel-wire-rope workshop (SWRW) and a section of thin steel wire were launched.

Association of factories


Between 1975 and 1989 the plant was merged with the Steel Rolling Plant named after F.E. Dzerzhinsky. One of the outstanding achievements of those years was the issuance of the Copyright Certificate for the manufacture of rope products on tubular



The last decade of the century was marked by the receipt of a certificate of conformity of the Quality System, implemented and successfully operating at the plant, in accordance with ISO 9003: 1987. Certificate was issued by the Maritime Register of Shipping.

Our days

2001г .- until now

These are years of development and international recognition. Implementation of ISO 9001 standards and the launch of German drawing and rope equipment. The new stage was marked by a whole range of activities. In 2003 two Odessa companies "Stalkanat" and "Stalmetiz" were merged. Employees of the plant carried out the largest reconstruction during the independence of Ukraine - a new Patenting Unit was built with a capacity of 2500 kg / h in SWRW. In 2005 a new patenting unit was put into operation, created by engineers and factory workers. In December 2010 there was a merger of Odessa plant "Stalkanat" and Khartsyzsk plant "Silur" in Private Joint Stock Company "Production Association" Stalkanat-Silur "(PJSC" PA "Stalkanat-Silur"). Since 2011, the company has embarked on a complete and unprecedented modernization of the plant and automation of production processes. Reconstruction took place in parallel at two sites and today this technological breakthrough has completely changed both the external appearance and the internal content of the plant. Between 2012 and 2016 the workshops were completely re-equipped with new and modernized equipment. New cable machines and drawing mills were purchased at SWRW (steel wire rope workshop). A new gas boiler room, a sewage treatment plant was built; the pickling and patenting department on the cable platform was modernized. In the SWW (steel wire workshop), scale breaking mills, a wire copper-plating line were installed, the spinneret compartment and the fiber section were updated. Between 2016 and 2018 two lines of branches for the production of reinforcing strands for reinforcing critical reinforced concrete structures were commissioned. Over the years, the social infrastructure of the plant has completely changed for the better. Overhaul of the main industrial buildings and structures was made; good working and life conditions of the factory workers were created. The production and scientific potential accumulated over the years allows us to produce not only products that meet the most modern requirements, but also to master new advanced technologies. Ahead of the company team are ambitious goals to turn their plant into a 21st century plant. Our team daily writes bright pages in the latest history of the oldest company in Odessa.